Aerodynamics


Aerodynamics
Aerodynamic design can greatly improve fuel efficiency.
In fact, it is one of the ares that gives you the most "bang" for the buck.
However, recent road testing has confirmed a statement made to me by Craig Vetter, one of the leading aerodynamic designers around... that at lower speeds the effectiveness of aerodynamics drops dramatically. Therefore, I'm focusing on reducing weight instead; the high cost of aerodynamic additions proved too much for my budget and did not gain me noticeable efficiency improvements. I'm leaving the rest of the page below unchanged just for reference and general information. My current design has removed even the windshield to reduce weight. In reducing weight, however, I have improved aerodynamics in one area; I have reduced the cross section of the bike. By removing panniers and the aluminum water tank I have improved air flow. I've also removed the engine guard and one meter and the battery compartment, all of which will improve the aerodynamics of the bike
Aerodynamically, you can improve performance in three key areas:
Front End Improvements
As you punch through the wind, the design of the front of the motorcycle can do a great deal to reduce turbulence. The smoother and rounder the shape, the more easily air flows around it. Therefore a windscreen is perhaps the single easiest modification that will improve fuel economy that you can make. Which is why one of the earliest modifications to the bike was it's simple but effective windscreen

Back End Improvements
It may come as a surprise to realize that the the design of the back end of the bike is also critical to efficiency; a sweeping design helps the air "pocket" you have created to close behind you with a minimum of turbulence.
Here's one very efficient design we're considering!
The rider
Yes, what the rider wears is important too. In fact, - and somewhat obviously - the thinner the rider, the lower the wind resistance and the better efficiency. Time to lose some weight!
But a well designed aerodynamic helmet and aerodynamic clothing can help as well. Smooth clothing, with a minimum of pockets, flaps, belts and other items that could flap in the wind, is critical. On the other hand, I'm not wearing a pink corinthian leather jumpsuit for this trip, either. So I'll stick with my armored jacket and just keep my head down!
Speaking of that... do you think those old bikers greased their hair back for aerodynamic reasons?

aerodynamics


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter